Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Another paddock question  (Read 8224 times)

Pikeman

• Joined Mar 2013
Another paddock question
« on: March 30, 2013, 10:21:40 am »
Our paddock now looks like a mud bath, it was fine but we had a horse on it this winter. Will it recover on its own when it drys out and the grass growing period returns. I know there is a similar post below.

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: Another paddock question
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2013, 11:29:22 am »
Yes, amazingly so normally, although more slowly than if it hadnt been trashed, as long as you flatten the ruts.

Pikeman

• Joined Mar 2013
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2013, 11:43:41 am »
Ok, can I flatten them with the car? Or do I need as ever a special tool? Or roller?

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2013, 12:42:17 pm »
If there's just a few and you do it at exactly at the right time, the car might help. Right time would be when it has the consistency of being squash able and with some moisture in it but not in any way wet looking. So think pottery clay. Try driving on non rutted bits, if you are making a mark then it's too wet.

Ideally you'd use something with wider tyres, even better a roller but if you get the timing right the car might be able to do something.

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2013, 12:43:37 pm »
We are flattening ours with the quad bike just now and that works
Anne

JMB

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2013, 07:08:42 pm »
We had a horse in our paddock last winter. It did recover and green up again, but I'm not sure if we should have reseeded or anything.
I've read that badly poached ground can regrow full of weeds and annual meadow grass which isn't ideal grazing.
But I'm sure someone else can give advice on that
J xxxx

shetlandjim

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2013, 10:17:06 am »
It depends on how bad the damage is.

If there is no grass left it will come back but it will take a long time and will need work to fix.

hove and tyres pressing through mud makes a "pan effect" in the soil normally near gates and this causes the ground drainage system to stop working. the pan creates a less permeable area a few inches under ground effectively keeping the water on top and the drains dry. if you get someone in with a subsoiler they can fix this for you.

other good ideas are.
harrow the ground to make a good seed bed then spread some grass seed on it and roll it. keep the animals of it for long enough to allow the grass to get established. topping the grass will help it spread out and fill in any bare patches.

I hope this helps you out.

Bodger

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2013, 12:43:47 pm »
Over the years, ground that has had cows and horses on especially in wet weather, will become more and compressed with less and less air in the soil. Eventually, it will need to be ploughed and although your paddock will green up this spring, it depends  wheat stage your land is at as to whether it needs the plough. In the winter, we have our stock in one field knowing that its going to be a mess but also knowing that we're going to plough and reseed it. In this way, each field gets ploughed every four or five years or so.

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2013, 10:17:50 pm »
I run over mine with a little chain barrow behind the car and tie a pallet on top which makes a better job. Amazing how it smooths out the divets for. Horse hooves.

Mine could do with ploughing and re-seeding but I don't have anywhere else to put the ponies as presumably it would have to be left for a considerable number of months?

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
Re: Another paddock question 's opt
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2013, 06:20:02 pm »
This season almost everyone I know has severly poached paddocks, overthegate's suggestion will give you a lovely new paddock. We may well have to go down this route ourselves in due course but at the moment are trying to save our old pasture.
Roll the field (with a roller) so you can flatten out the ruts, but any large patches that are really bare won't recover the grass 100%. We've previously gone over smaller poached areas with the tractor, but this year our winter grazing is beyond even that.
Unfortunately 'weeds' will take advantage of bare patches.

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2013, 09:50:12 pm »
Run some sheep over it!
They can flatten ground amazingly well and do the sward wonders :sheep: :sheep: :sheep: :thumbsup:
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

RonMinch

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2013, 08:02:36 am »
I had 3 pigs on a small area over winter they trashed it, nothing growing at all. They went two weeks on Friday ago and already the area is starting to recover! I thought they had eaten everything in there roots an all!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS