Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hello from Glossop  (Read 4423 times)

marie

• Joined Apr 2011
Hello from Glossop
« on: April 30, 2011, 08:53:47 pm »
Hello all. I live in Glossop near Manchester. We have 8 Soay sheep and 5 new born Lambs. If anyone else has Soay I'd love to hear from you.
We have had them for around 5 years now and find them a delight to watch as they grow. But last year all lambs were taken. Not sure if it was someone taking them or a fox. There had been some ewes taken from a farm close to us. But it was only our lambs that went and not the ewes, and also they went on seperate nights. This year we have had more success so far all are ok.
Love to hear from anyone with Soay to swap any information.

piggy

• Joined Oct 2008
Re: Hello from Glossop
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2011, 09:07:21 pm »
Hi and welcome from Suffolk  :wave:

I have 10 soays,9 ewes and a tup,only 1 left to lamb but looking at her i dont think she is in lamb,2 have had twins the rest singles but i am so greatfull that out of the 10 lambs only 2 boys.
My tup stays in all year and is a great dad,apart from the first 2 singles they have all lambed at different times and he sits in front of the newly lamb mum and baby protecting them it made it all worth while for the 6 hour round trip to collect him.
Karen

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2011, 09:16:02 pm »
hello and welcome ... from about 30 miles away!
:wave:
Little Blue

marie

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2011, 09:29:40 pm »
Hi Karen. Sounds a great Tup you have got there. Was just wandering if I should only have one tup and not 4. They do clash sometimes but not baddly. I think we have 3 boys in the new lambs so a bit worrid that there will be too many competing for females next year.
Marie

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2011, 09:31:21 pm »
Hi and welcome from Sue in Worcestershire  :wave:
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2011, 09:57:51 pm »
Hiya Marie & welcome from West Scotland  :wave:

Hoping to get some Soays this year  :sheep:
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

marie

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2011, 10:06:08 pm »
Hi Beewyched. I like the Soays. They can be a friendly sheep. We have one female whe will eat out of our hands and comes up all the time wanting food. Let me know how you get on when you get some.
Marie

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2011, 10:10:53 pm »
Certainly will do Marie  :wave:

We are hoping to get some from someone we know who looks after their Soays really well & they are handled & quite tame - they are such pretty little things - remind me of deer  :love:
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2011, 10:12:33 pm »
Hi Marie and welcome from north Cumbria.  

I hope your lambs all make it this year.  Sounds rather like a fox last year - probably a vixen with a litter to feed.  Not very nice for you, hope she's moved somewhere else (hopefully near a rabbit warren!)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

marie

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2011, 10:22:27 pm »
Think they still around so keeping the ewes and lambs in till they big enough to go out. It was very upsetting for the children to find the lambs gone.
Got big hopes for this years lambs. Have to say though I have become more attached to the sheep since we have brought them into the stable.

piggy

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2011, 10:25:24 pm »
Hi  :wave:

I am a newby when it comes to sheep i have only had these since last year but i only have 1 tup because mine are registered so i need to know who the dad is so i can register the lambs to hopefully sell on.He is a great tup so friendly a real gem.Sadly though he will have to be replaced next year as any lambs i keep would be his daughters.
In our area there are very few keepers of soays which is such a shame,hence why i had to travel so far to get my tup.

Karen

marie

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2011, 10:44:39 pm »
When we got ours we were told they could just be left and they would get on with it. They were registered but since we don't know which male went with which female we couldnt register them. So its all gone a bit off the rail. But I am now thinking of getting them sorted properly now and rehoming the males we have and getting in a new tup. Also as the field we have for them is not massive, reducing the numbers would be good for the ewes.
I will look around and see if anyone wants any males and look into getting another from another line as these would all be the same lineage.
Thankyou for comming back to me you have confirmed what I have been thinking.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2011, 11:27:11 pm »
Hello ....neighbour :)  You are the closest person I have seen to me, on this forum!!  Most of my animals are about 6 miles from Glossop, but we have 5 ponies at Hayfield, which is great for riding.

marie

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2011, 06:38:35 am »
Hello Roxy. I know where Hayfield is. My daughter has a horse, and I ride a little. We are just on the longdendale trail which is a great start for a ride, though we havnt been very far on him as yet as he has a problem with his feet, which is nearly cleared up. Nice to hear from you.

lill

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2011, 08:58:52 am »
hello from central scotland :wave:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS