Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Can you sex these orpingtons?  (Read 4615 times)

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
Re: Can you sex these orpingtons?
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2018, 05:43:06 pm »
 :fc: looks like three hens to me

Koojie

• Joined May 2018
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2018, 09:22:21 pm »
My gold laced was a grumpy mare - but not as grumpy as my buff Sussex!   Some birds just have different temperaments.  On the other hand I had a blue, splash and buff orpies who were great birds, great mum and terrific aunties.  I think yours may be girls as I had mine at 18 weeks and all looked similar to those photos.  Although the one in the middle doesn't have the spider web type of feathers that the males have, or the tail feathers which I think should have appeared by now.  The wattles look rather splendid though!  In our house it was "it's a girl until she crows" rule. 

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2018, 10:55:13 pm »
I'd guess that's a hen too, but certainty will come only when they either lay or crow!
So Mrs Womble is certain that one of our teenage peacocks (pure white, so hard to sex) has stolen a load of eggs from one of the hens, and then sat on them for a month.
I tried to point out that there was a more likely explanation, but she's just not buying it!!
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS