Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Swallows '24  (Read 10682 times)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Swallows '24
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2024, 11:26:02 pm »
If we leave our sash windows too far open then we can guarantee we will have swallows in the house.  One year they started to build a nest on top of the electricity meter so had to be evicted. As we have dogs it's not a good move for birds to come into the house.
One year we had Pooey Dooey (I'm sure I've told this tale on here before!), the racing pigeon.  I was sitting in my living room when I had that creepy feeling of being watched when there was no one else around.  I turned and looked above me to see a pigeon perched contentedly on top of the dresser.  Of course we fed and watered him, he would pop outside for a fly around then return (via the window). Eventually we were able to pick him up and found a phone number stencilled on his wing. In very short order a large black very luxurious BMW pulled up outside.  The owner told me Pooey Dooey was his best racing pigeon, worth a startlingly large amount of money.  He had released the flock as part of a race from I think Newcastle to Glasgow, but they had been attacked and scattered by a peregrine.  Some were killed, and PD appeared to be the only survivor.  He was popped in a cage and driven off in regal splendour.
ps: no, there was no reward.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2024, 11:28:14 pm by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2024, 12:37:38 pm »
I noticed yesterday, Sept 4th, that the skies and our sheds have suddenly gone silent.  It would appear that the swallows have left early. Some had only one brood, others two, but none the three which was routine in past years.
Have anyone else's swallows left on migration already?

Oops!  They're back this evening, or some are  8)
« Last Edit: September 05, 2024, 07:04:00 pm by Fleecewife »

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2024, 02:01:43 pm »
We still had ours on Tuesday at the secure dog field near Dunfermline.  We though they were late going from here.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2024, 08:38:34 am »
We have ours still here the last hatching fledged five days ago, but this morning the geese have arrived, a little bit early, usually when they arrive the swallows go

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2024, 10:29:00 am »
Ours were all collecting on the telephone wires last week but there are only one or two left now. Autumn seems to have come very early this year. :(

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2024, 04:00:03 pm »
We have ours still here the last hatching fledged five days ago, but this morning the geese have arrived, a little bit early, usually when they arrive the swallows go

Yes, geese gaggling overhead this morning.
Our swallows have definitely gone after swithering a bit at first.

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2024, 10:10:53 am »
Up at 5am this morning a fair bit of noise going on and its still moonlight. on the steading roof there is a mass of swallows. 5:30 they are up and away heading south, all we have left are 7 juveniles and as far as I can count 3 adults . Kind of dusty here , fingers crossed for them.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2024, 11:53:40 am »
The swallows arrived here Monday evening- perhaps 100 of them at the moment. The sky around 5.00pm seems full of them. By 6.00pm they are all roosting on our electricity supply cable, which they seem to prefer to any others around here. It's 60 metres long between posts and it has been full before now, with the swallows spaced about a foot apart. They usually stay about a week.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS